Day 4: Capitol Building Part 2 - Executive Council Meeting and Lunch at the State House

Concord, NH -

     The Executive Council is a fascinating part of NH State government. Instead of just having a Governor with blanket executive authorities. He or She has to share power with five members of the council that are elected. The Governor still retains veto power, but he or she has a large check on their power via this Council. This reminds me of Switzerland's government style. It is worth considering in other state's. Governor "Veto" Sununu was cordial and took a ton of pictures with a million different people. Zay said it best, "Pictures are currency to politicians".

     Later in the day, we went to the basement to get some lunch. I decided to try my luck in the long line in hopes of getting some caffeine (I found a monster!). In front of me in the line was Executive Councilman and the only Gubernatorial candidate endorsed by Bernie Sanders, Andru Zelinsky. He started talking to me and we spoke on how crazy it is that members of the State House only get paid $100/yr. He said what I believed to be true: that turnover is crazy and the House is full of older retired and/or wealthy people that don't represent their constituents. He introduced me to a gentleman also in the lunch line that was around my age or a little order. He stated that he even though he wanted to, he cannot run for re-election because he simply cannot afford it. He currently bar-tends at night and it's just not cutting it. Not only does he spend time in Concord for votes and bill-writing, but he has constituent services and speeches that he has to miss his paid work to do. Councilman Zelinsky was great to talk to and if I lived in NH I would definitely volunteer for him. He also graciously bought my lunch. Good man! Please elect him as Governor New Hampshire!

     It should be noted that in January 2020 the NH House voted to increase the minimum wage to a living wage of $15/hr. by 2025. At the very least, why shouldn't NH House members get paid the same? Yes, I know it would take a constitutional amendment, but you can't get what you don't try for. It's almost as if some people want to keep younger and working-class people from running for the NH House.

https://www.unionleader.com/news/politics/state/nh-house-votes-to-double-minimum-wage-to/article_b6931731-a95b-5cd0-970a-34a84e18192d.html

Comments

Popular Posts