Day 10: Breakfast with Bernie!

Manchester, NH

     This morning we volunteered at a smaller event titled: "Breakfast with Bernie". It was super fun! First, we checked in with the volunteer leader, who said "Oh, you're the people from Florida! I've heard so much about you!", which was nice to hear! Then we went to our assigned spaces. I helped set up the breakfast. We set up homemade muffins and breads of almost ten flavors, bagels and cream cheese or butter, coffee, tea, water, juice, and fresh fruit. They even had dairy-free creamer, which pleased me very much! When everything was set, I went to help welcome guests and the press in at the front door with Trevor. Jerry from Ben & Jerry's walked up and gave us a hug! It was weird at first, because we had no idea who he was. But it quickly went from creepy to cool when we realized who he was. Later I got a picture with Ben, who was also extremely nice. B & J's Vegan Cherry Garcia for the win!

     When the event started Ben & Jerry spoke first. They introduced Bernie and Dr. Jane, who entered from the backdoor. Somehow I managed to get a chair in the front row, while Trevor and Andrea got to sit behind the podium! It was an abbreviated speech from his usual stump and I was able to shout the answer when Bernie asked if we knew how much Canadian's pay for insulin compared to the US. I yelled out "10 percent". He turned to me and said "That's right!". It was a great moment for me.

     Once the event was over and we helped put the chairs away and pack-up what was left of the breakfast, we headed out to get something to eat before our next event: Night Rally with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and The Strokes!!!

Comments

Popular Posts